WordPress May in short:
The month of May brought us WordPress 5.2 “Jaco” with al the new developer features listed in the previous edtition of this article , and the WordPress 5.2.1 Maintenance Release with improved security to the automatic update system.
Besides the updates to core there were some pretty exciting releases of plugins. Elliot Condon realeased the new version of Advanced Custom Fields with a “a powerful PHP-based framework for developing custom Gutenberg block types”. And Jeffrey Carandang released his EditorsKit bringing some usefull enhancemants to the editor like per block device visibility settings and text formats.
WordPress updates and releases:
- May 21th: WordPress 5.2.1 Maintenance Release
- May 7th: WordPress 5.2 “Jaco”.
- May 2th: WordPress 5.2 RC2.
WordPress tutorials and resources:
- How to get WordPress running with Docker by Michael Lazarski.
- How to approach object-oriented programming with WordPress by Carl Alexander.
- Using direct database queries to quickly update data Part 1 and Part 2 by Tom McFarlin.
- Using WordPress Transients Instead of Cookies? by Tom McFarlin.
- Extending Gutenberg core blocks with custom attributes and controls by Jeffrey Carandang.
- The WordPress security handbook 2019 Part 1, Part 2 and part 3 by Luca Grandicelli.
- Register some custom settings in WordPress by Jérémy Levron.
- How to set up modern PHP coding standards for WordPress by Thorsten Frommen.
- A new plugin boilerplate for a new era. Video and Code/Repo by Alain Schlesser.
- How to create a custom WooCommerce product type by Igor Benić
Web development tutorials and resources:
- Making an element center: simple CSS tricks by Debajyoti Mitra.
- Delighter.js — CSS3 animation effects when scrolling by Yvonnelikes.
- Create a responsive grid layout with no media queries, using CSS Grid by Andy Bell.
- Making the move from jQuery to Vue by Raymond Camden.
- Macy.js a lightweight, dependency-free, 4kb masonry layout library by Big Bite.
- Gettin’ griddy with it: build your own CSS Grid and drop the frameworks by Theran Brigowatz.
- Digging into the display property: Grids all the way down by Rachel Andrew.
- Getting started with ESLint + development workflow by Pramod Hegde.
- Unusual HTML tags worth knowing by Christopher Kade.
If you have any suggestions for good article or other resources please do let me know! You can get in touch via Twitter: Vanaf1979 or here on this site.
Have a great June.