WordPress January in short:
It’s been a month since the release of WordPress 5.0 with the new Gutenberg editor. And while the dust is settling and the download numbers an rising the WordPress core developers have set some very nice goals for 2019. Most notable “Forming a Triage team to tackle the 6,500 open issues on Trac”.
Also there are progressive plans for Guttenberg itself in fase 2 of it’s development. Including blocks in widget areas, in the Customizer and possibly even in the Menu editor. With an ambitious plan to bring it all together in fase 3 which may bring Editing blocks in-context.
The future sounds bright.
WordPress news, updates and releases:
- Jan 22th: WordPress 5.1 Beta 2.
- Jan 11th: WordPress 5.1 Beta 1.
- Jan 9th: WordPress 5.0.3 Maintenance Release.
WordPress articles and tutorials:
- Taking WordPress on a different route with “WordPress, Vue and Nuxt — an SEO love story” by Ed O’Reilly.
- A long and in-depth read “Creating a WordPress Multilingual Site — Part 1: Content & Polylang” by PhraseApp.
- When done right this could be really helpfull in WordPress theme development “WordPress Post Type Models” by Matthew Vue.
- Start with “Building Responsive WordPress Forms” by WS Form.
- This is a nice one to bookmark just in case “How to Deactivate All Plugins When Not Able to Access WP-Admin” by WordPress Beginner.
- If you love the command line this is a great read “Automating WordPress with WP-CLI Aliases” by Jason Yingling.
- Not the hardest part of WordPres development but very usefull in a lot of cases: “How to create a child theme” by Pixelvars.
- Start Linting with “PHPCS Code Linting for WordPress” by Matt Mcnamee.
- A small jump into CI “A quick, free way to use continuous deployment with WordPress” by Joshua Hackett.
- I Wrote this little article “WordPress: Multiple Custom Templates for Posts and Custom Post Types.” by Vanaf1979.
WordPress/Web dev articles and resources:
- Become a “Flexbox Ninja” by Geoffrey Crofte.
- Learn all about the Figure ellement with “How do you figure?” by Scott O’Hara.
- Gutenberg blocks are build with React so “Get Started with React — An Overview and Walkthrough” by Tania Rascia.
- Remove image background automatically in 5 seconds for free with remove.bg. by remove.bg
- DBeaver: A Free multi-platform database tool for developers, SQL programmers, database administrators and analysts by DBeaver
- Start animating your themes with “Anime.js: The Basics” by Jacob Moore.
- Deployer is a tiny service to sync your WordPress plugin code from GitHub to WordPress.org by Arūnas Liuiza.
- Download the “Front-End Performance Checklist 2019” by Smashing Magazine.
- Check out this handy “Css Cheatsheet” by Adam Marsden.
Interesting WordPress questions on Quora:
- Are WordPress developers real developers?
- How does WordPress 5.0 affect SEO?
- How can I improve my WordPress skills?
- How are servers that are optimized to host WordPress sites differ from servers that are not optimized for WordPress?
- How can I combine WordPress and React?
Have a great February.